Thursday, September 25, 2008

Ode to Joy

My relationship with my ex dissolved and imploded some time ago, but there was still one big step I had yet to take – moving out of our loveless hell shack. This final stage commenced abruptly Monday evening when I moved out and started a new life free of darkness and negativity. I moved my computer and related business essentials into my downtown office, then secured temporary lodging in Arcata.

The first order of business was to jump up and down on the motel’s bed in celebration. I was free. Free at last. Then I wandered over to a local tavern and ordered a dirty martini (gin, a splash of vermouth and some olive brine). I requested two olives to make it extra special. The cocktail waitress has since told me that this is her favorite drink to make, which is good because I plan to keep her busy making them for me while I reside at such a prestigious address. Surrounded by degenerate drunks, some missing limbs, I smiled and slowly nursed my martini. It was the best fucking cocktail I’ve ever enjoyed. I was overcome with a feeling of tranquility. A huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I could feel my blood pressure dropping.

After I finished my martini, I started to stroll back to the motel when I heard the sweet sounds of a harmonica in the distance. I wandered across the street, over a vast expanse of asphalt and towards a homeless panhandler who was playing for change. I emptied all the quarters, dimes and nickels from my pockets and complimented his musical stylings. He asked me if I had a guitar he could borrow, but I had none. Then I returned to my little room with little soaps and little white towels and called a beautiful person to break the news. Life was good.

Tuesday was my first full day of freedom. I started the day at 4:30 a.m. I had a lot of work to do and my blood was pulsing with adrenaline. I needed to figure out how to run a portion of the business that I was unfamiliar with. I made a long list, stumbled forward and figured it out. People I know commented that I seemed happier than usual before I even had a chance to tell my story. Later that evening I got cleaned up and met with an amazing goddess.

bowofcanoe

She took me out on her canoe.

osprey

We spotted an Osprey.

godwits

We saw Godwits.

My Sicilian hippie chick is wonderful in every way and enjoys giggling and cheesy haikus, as do I! She’s exceptionally kind to me. Plus, she’s got tattoos and is hot, hot, hot.

There are many challenges ahead and I’m far from being in the clear, but that’s OK. I may stumble and I may even fall. But I plan to do so in a positive manner.

It’s all peace and love from now on, baby!

floatmyboat

Life is beautiful.

14 Comments:

Blogger Rose said...

Life is good. Jack!

9:34 AM  
Blogger beachcomber said...

Life's too short to spend it unhappily. Luck to you.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Indie said...

This is so beautiful and wonderful to read, Jack. You darling man, you deserve to be happy. Nothing should dim your beautiful spirit.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Kristabel said...

Jack...I hear you listened to an interesting answering machine message recently.

The minute I read this post I knew that amazing Sicilian goddess and her canoe had to be my beautiful friend.

Congrats on taking action to find your happiness.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Jim Thill said...

Hm, I always figured that if I became similarly unencumbered, I would endeavor to stay that way for awhile, and would embark on some sort of nomadic experience. But tattoos and hotness are hard to resist, I suppose.

10:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kristabel!!

That message cracked me up!

Small world, eh?

8:46 AM  
Blogger ImBlogCrazy said...

Beachcomber's right Jack. Life is too short to spend it unhappily.

I have a sister who I hope some day changes her position/partnership and goes for the Happy Card!

I'm afraid not enough people understand what a blessing life can be when you live it well.

Sounds like you've already made a positive move.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Monica... That One Girl said...

I know I'm checking in quite late here, but congrats on finding your happy, Jack.

As I walk to campus in the mornings, I always wonder if you're wandering around. I'm sure I'll run into you out there one of these days.

Oh, and I heard you sold the paper... congrats!

~Monica~

11:37 AM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

Monica,
I haven't sold the paper, at least not that I'm aware of.

By chance were you standing in line at Wildberries last night at around 5:45 p.m.?

1:00 PM  
Blogger Monica... That One Girl said...

Hah- well, I guess that's what happens when I listen to fellow students.

And in fact, I believe I was at Wildberries last night, probably around 5:45. Too funny. I had tunnel-vision caused by the amount of junk food I was loading up on. Mildly embarrasing, but that crap allowed me to stay up til all hours and get my writing done.

Say hi to me next time!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

I wasn't sure if it was you. You have a tat on your foot?

I was standing behind you with a "bouquet" of something called "pumpkins on a stick."

2:34 PM  
Blogger Monica... That One Girl said...

That was you! Dang... If I could only remember what you looked like!

And I do, indeed, have footie tats. A ladybug on one foot and a flower chain across the other. Next time I'll keep my eyes open better. :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

Monica,
Now that I've confirmed who you are, I'll make sure and say hello next time.

I would never pass up a chance to talk to a glamorous, celebrity KSLG DJ!!!!

5:07 PM  
Blogger OrangeElmo said...

Jack you are the awesome-ist!

Change is not necessarily a bad thing, altho most people fear it like the plague.

Rock on, baby! Be happy. You're the best kayaking buddy I could ever wish for.

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters