Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Cockeyed Florence, etc.

Before this evening's special meeting of the Mack Town Board, I attended the Cockeyed Florence Parade in Trinidad. It's a small but spirited event in honor of a woman of "ill repute" who some say was buried just outside the Trinidad Cemetery in the late 1800s.

cockeyed.matilda

I met a lady named Matilda. Damn! I forgot to get her number. Oh well. You snooze, you lose.


cockeyed.ned

Ned Simmons was the master of ceremonies and the life of the party. He read a ballad he wrote and got the crowd fired up.


cockeyedwomen

Everyone got into the spirit, although I can't help but think that the woman and child on the right were peering disapprovingly into my soul.

cockeyed.burlesonnew

After the parade was over I met up with Janine Volkmar and Katrin Burleson (above) at their church. Janine is a retired librarian and always fun to talk to. Burleson paints these really cool icons. I admire her work. They're Episcopalians, which is some sort of renegade offshoot of the Catholic Church. I'm basically an infidel, but I have just enough Catholicism drilled into me that I find this stuff interesting and I've been known to recite my Hail Marys when I'm on a narrow road on my bicycle and I hear a logging truck roaring up behind me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Indie said...

I just moved to McKinleyville 2 weeks ago (from Eureka) and I am so happy here. But I had no idea fun things were going on just under my nose. I haven't yet figured out how to connect to the community-- and haven't had time yet, with all the unpacking.

Over the summer, while househunting. I was reading your blog, the one that goes with the McK Press, and your love for the area convinced me this was the community for my family. I knew Eureka wasn't.

Thanks for that; we love it here so far.

7:08 PM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

Welcome to town, Karol!

You should stop by my office sometime.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Indie said...

Hi, I took you up on your offer but no one was home at the Press today. Still, it was good to learn where it is, and where the Chamber is. I can't tell you how much that office (stairs, door) remind me of the Indie (the Independent) back when I was there.

I was going to offer you my services as a very, very cheap writer, as a way for me to get to know this town better.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

Karol,
I'll call you Tuesday! We'll scheme and strategize. – Jack

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters