Friday, June 13, 2008

Take my bike, please!

When the semester ends in May at Humboldt State, most of the students stagger back to where they came from. They return home a little smarter, with all sorts of esoteric knowledge, maybe some job skills, a few books, and a fat sack of locally grown chronic.

A few leave behind their bicycles, some still locked up on campus. The university collects these bikes and then disposes of them. This year a thrift store that I frequent in Arcata got a load of bikes. Most were cheap mountain bikes, the kind that I wouldn’t touch with a ten-foot pole. Mixed in with the junk was a decent Specialized Hard Rock. I didn’t really need another bike, but I do a little horse trading with the store, which meant the bike was virtually free. I couldn’t resist.

After about 40 minutes of wrenching, the bike was ready to ride.

hardrockbike

Here it is during my morning stop at Sutter’s Mudd. I usually get a latte, which makes me a “latte liberal.” Then again, sometimes I’m a conservative, And sometimes I’m an anarchists. But I digress.

A Hard Rock is a decent mountain bike. Not fancy, but very respectable. Being that I don’t really need this bike, I’ll probably end up giving it away. Someone will tell me how they need a bike, and I’ll say “Here. You can have this one.” There’s only one catch: Whoever takes this bike has to promise to ride it.

Either way, it has to go. Panniers not included.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tapperass said...

I recall the day I fled the dormd after my sophomore year. There was just so much stuff the students left behind in the garbage. It was not long after the kids were gone when people in trucks showed up to rescue what were very nice items.

This was so many years ago, and I am sure a similar pattern occurs to this day.

Anyway, nice bike. I would make you an offer, but I already have a bike, and only ant a second one. I am sure somebody out there needs a bike.

-boy

9:22 AM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

The bike is taken! That was fast.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters