Wednesday, June 03, 2009

The Fixed Gear Experience

I’ve always thought that fixed gear bicycles are absurd and ridiculous. Why would people voluntarily limit themselves to a single gear and then compound the difficulties by eliminating the freewheel?

Doing so doesn’t make sense. It’s counter-intuitive.

But for some reason, I wanted one, so I started shopping for something cheap.
fixedgearbliss

This is my “new” funky fixed gear conversion. The frame appears to be from a clunky, old Schwinn. It's kind of sexy, don't you think?

fixedgearhub

As you can see, it only has one gear. The right side has no freewheel, so you have to keep pedalling. There’s no coasting, even when going down hill. It has what’s called a flip-flop hub, which means you can take the wheel off, flip it around and connect the chain to the freewheel if you so desire.

fixedgearbridge

The biggest “hills” I’ve climbed so far are the Samoa Bridges. They weren't too bad and while climbing I kept the cussing to a minimum.

fixedwoodley
There’s something addictive about the fixed gear experience that I can’t put my finger on. This will require further meditation before I can explain why someone would want to ride such a bike.

3 Comments:

Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Seems to me like those bikes would be dangerous.

6:40 AM  
Anonymous redheaded beach dawdler said...

well...at least yours has a front hand brake...using it must be kinda like patting your head and rubbing your tummy...

Did you see the pics that the AE ran of the newbie fixie rider that borrowed a friends bike and bombed down Fickel Hill, sadly ending in tradegy...?

(that's like mentionong a recent shark attack right before paddling out to a September dream swell)

Remember old school trike riding? ...down big hills...you just lifted your feet up off the pedals and...bombs away...

Crazy!

Time to upgrade your bike helmet?

Be careful Jack...and don't bring that thing to the Old Town anti-lyrca bike-a-thon.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous redheaded beach dawdler said...

I neglected to compliment you on your fortuitous use of cycle composition in your first photo...nice!....(did I spell that right?)

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters