Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Cursory Exploration of Old Town Eureka

I had a lot of work to do today, so time was of the essence. I jumped on my bike and headed for Old Town Eureka.

samoabridge

This bridge goes from Samoa to Indian Island. It's best not to think too much about the possibility of falling over the rail. From Indian Island there's a short bridge to Woodley Island, then a short bridge to Eureka.

oldtownfrombridge

Here's the view of Eureka from the top of the bridge on the Samoa end.

indianislandtrees

I admired this egret rookery. Note all the white spots in the trees!

treecloseup

Let's take a closer look.

woodleyislandmarina

Here's the Woodley Island Marina. Notice the pulp mill in the background. It's closed.

hosecompany

I admired one of the old buildings. By the way, the frame on my bike proved to be both flexible and rigid during today's ride, which was both long and short.

ingomarclub

After I took this shot, I helped some Japanese tourists take a family photo. Somewhere on a mantle or in a photo album in the Land of the Rising Sun, there will be a photo of my bike with Japanese tourists next to it.


oldtownfountain

Old Town is a pretty place. Here's the gazebo.

romanogabrialart

I admired the artwork of Romano Gabriel. He must have been an interesting neighbor.

Kimandjack

I looked inside and was shocked to discover that he had modeled at least one of his works after Kim and me.

rustyyacht

I meandered down to the waterfront and looked at this rusty yacht, as I have many times before. I imagine that this was a real beauty in its day and probably was used by the rich and famous in Southern California. Cary Grant probably drank martinis at the stern while Betti Davis flirted with the captain.


sailboat

This is where the visitors dock. This boat looks like its stopped over for supplies during a major voyage.

I think I'll make Old Town explorations a regular part of my schedule this summer on my Randonee, which is fast, yet slow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Monica... That One Girl said...

Nice that the egrets look to be sharing their rookery with at least a couple blue herons. :-)

Love the photos, Jack. I really want to explore Indian Island, some day.

2:04 PM  
Blogger beachcomber said...

I paddled by the Arcturus again yesterday. She intrigues me, especially that door that opens out to the deck....that's about 18" below. Yikes! First steps a doozy, especially when the captain's been downin' the rum.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters