Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Kneeland Bike Ride. 2.18.09

I ate a hard-boiled egg, then jumped on my Randonee for some rambling.

kneelandview

My destination was the top of that mountain in the distance, the one with the snow and radio towers.

indianisland

I admired Indian Island on my way to Eureka.

market

I stopped at Three Corners Market for hot coffee and an apple fritter. Yum!

kneelandswitchback

It was a tough climb. Part of the landscape is devastated, yet utilitarian.

kneelandeurekaview

As I got near the top, I could see Eureka in the distance.

kneelandfirstsnow

Just uphill from the Kneeland Post Office, I came across plenty of snow and suddenly felt a cold, easterly wind. I was glad I had my mittens, but wished I had worn wool socks.

bikeinsnow

The snow was soft, and suddenly I had a hankering for some chocolate cake slathered in a marshmallow cream frosting.

kneelandtrees

It was spectacular.

kneelandwindy

I leaned my bike against a post to take a photo, but it was so windy that it blew over. Chilly!

kneelandairport

I reached my destination, then bundled up for the trip home.

Total miles: 42


And so begins my official Tour of the Unknown Coast training.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters