Wednesday, November 12, 2008

I've been tagged, so here it goes....

I’ve been tagged by Kristabel to write seven things about myself, presumably things people may not know about me. So here they are in no particular order:

1. I buy most of my shirts at thrift stores. Most of them cost 50 cents to $1. In the event that I get them covered in paint or bicycle grease, I can just toss them out and I don’t have to feel bad about doing so. I also score other items of clothing at thrift stores. I think I look pretty good in my thrift store clothes, even when I don’t.

2. I grew up in San Mateo, a suburb located south of San Francisco International Airport. I attended Aragon High School, where I ran on the cross country team.

attheporm

Here’s my senior prom photo. That lovely girl is Margaret Abe. After the prom we drove up to Twin Peaks and smooched. I graduated in 1987.

icecapadesgroup

3. In high school I worked at The Ice Capades Chalet, an ice rink located inside a shopping mall. Here’s a photo of me with some of my co-workers. I was a skate guard and a janitor. Part of my job involved dressing up in a Yogi Bear or Jabberjaws suit and skating around the rink for the kids. I also led the Hokey Pokey.

4. Last July I saw six gray whales spouting simultaneously near Trinidad and I had an epiphany which led to major changes in my life.

5. Not only did I enjoy Michael Mann’s 2006 “Miami Vice” movie, but I consider it a masterpiece. It’s pure emotion with dazzling visuals. But people I know – including people I respect – tell me that the movie was a giant pile of crap. I've yet to find a single person who even remotely agrees with me on this movie. This leaves me scratching my head. On a related note, some of my favorite movies include “Casablanca,” “High Noon,” “Goodfellas,” “Apocalypse Now” and the “Godfather” series.

jacksmokespipe

6. Between my junior and senior years in high school I went to Paraguay for a couple months. When I got back, I was into wearing sandals and smoking a corn cob pipe. I also drank gallons of yerba mate. Almost everyone who tried it at the time said it tasted awful. Now, two decades later, it's served in regular coffee shops. I would not have guessed this would happen in a million years.

7. I own six bicycles and one unicycle. This is down from a high of more than 15 bikes last year. Ideally, a person should have about 10 bikes of different kinds.

I now hereby tag everyone who has a link on the left side of this blog. You know who you are. BAM!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristabel said...

Ha ha hee hee hee...Jack, you get about a gazillion bonus points for that ice capade photo.

xo

7:15 PM  
Blogger Joel Mielke said...

Oh man! I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The "Miami Vice" review had me gasping. Now I can never see the film; I'd rather imagine it as a great, unrecognized cinematic treasure.

You're right about Mate. In Argentina they pass the gourd back and forth and you share the bombilla. Yuck. They add sugar, which is like adding sugar to aspirin.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Kym said...

I think Jack has upped the ante with the photos. From now on, the posts should come with eye candy.

9:28 PM  
Blogger Indie said...

The enlightened teen Jack with the green corncob pipe and huaraches is absolutely hilarious!!!!

As is teen Jack leading the hokey pokey. :)

But you make Yogi Bear and Jabberjaws sound way more benevolent than in the stories you tell at the office.

Kym's right, the photos are priceless additions to the entertainment value of these posts.

10:18 AM  
Blogger OrangeElmo said...

That ice rink gig looks like about the most fun ever. Did you get to drive a zamboni?

11:04 AM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

I did indeed driver the Zamboni! But that came to an end after I accidently ripped some side boards off. As you know, the Zamboni extends out a bit on the sides. One must use caution when passing by the doors which open to let the Zamboni enter the rink!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Redwood Bigfoot said...

Hi Jack! Love the post! Can't tell which dude you are in the picture. The one with glasses or the one with the mustache? At any rate, i too was a skate guard/zamboni driver, at the outdoor rink in wasington, d.c. every other rink guard was from, i kid not, ethiopia. there was lots of hilarity when they took to the ice, and when i forgot to gas up the zamboni machine over the christmas holiday.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

In the prom photo, I'm the one wearing the tuxedo.

In the Ice Capades photo, I'm the one on the far left with the cool hair doo.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters