Monday, December 03, 2007

Long day

Power lines went down this morning in Smith River, meaning the good folks at the Triplicate couldn’t print my paper. So they arranged to have the Times-Standard do the job.

But there was a catch – I had to deliver my pages on a CD and the press couldn’t start rolling until extra help arrived. That meant I had to wait for an undetermined amount of time.

I suppose I could have come home, but I didn’t want to drive back to Eureka if the pressman was going to arrive in 20 or 30 minutes.

So I stayed in Eureka, clutching my cell phone, with time to kill. I ate a bagel with cream cheese, lox, onions and capers and then explored Woodley Island. Life was good.

fisherman

No fishermen were working today, except for this crusty old guy.

yacht

This big-ass yacht was apparently waiting out the storm in our harbor. I couldn't make out the writing on the back, but it's from the Cayman Islands. I noticed someone inside watching something on a massive flat-screen TV.

jetty

I went back to the T-S and read old, yellowed newspapers until I felt like my head would explode. I had to get out of that building before I went nuts. So I visited the jetty, from a distance! Look at those waves! Stay back and watch it from the dunes, unless you want to die.

press

Around 2:20 p.m. the press was rumbling. Oh, what a sweet sound! Chugga, chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga chugga! It was music to my ears. So this week's paper is a little late, but it will get out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters