Friday, April 27, 2007

Pedaling in paradise

It's been a busy, hectic week. So for mental health purposes I played hooky this morning and pedalled from McKinleyville to Patrick's Point State Park and back.

Coast

The coast was cool and foggy at first. I travelled along Scenic Drive and made my way to Trinidad. I arrived in the city 55 minutes after leaving my house. I don't know if that's making good time or not. Besides, who cares? If I was smart, I would have pedalled slowly.

Coastal monument

The fog lifted north of Trinidad. I looked for whales, but saw none. I have a theory that whales can never be seen when you're looking for them, only when you're not looking for them.

Mussel Rock

At Patrick's Point State Park I walked my bike down to something called Mussel Rock. The trail ends abruptly at the ocean. I suspect that Mussel Rock was battered to pieces and is now a pile of rubble. Nothing is permanent on the coastline, not even the rocks.

trail

If the park would allow me, I'd pitch a tent on this trail and call it home.

Wild iris

I came across a Wild Iris...

banana slug

...and a Banana Slug...

Rhodie

...and a Rhodie in bloom.

Luffenholtz blue

On the way home I enjoyed blue skies. Surfers were out in force at Camel Rock, where the water, as you can see, was very blue. There were some naked surfers getting out of their wetsuits. I thought it might be funny to ring my bicycle bell but that might send the wrong message so I ignored them and kept on going.

I was back in Mack Town by 1:30 p.m. and enjoyed a mid-afternoon coffee with cream and sugar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters