Thursday, April 19, 2007

Maple Creek/Butler Valley Redux

Mileage so far in 2006: 1,055

***

Thursday, April 19, ride: Maple Creek/Butler Valley loop

Approx. distance: 57 miles

Elevation gain: 3,500 (not confirmed)

Route: McKinleyville to Arcata to Old Arcata Road to Kneeland to Maple Creek to Blue Lake to Valley West to Arcata Bottoms to home. (Reverse of what I did last month)

Start time: 9:40 a.m.

End time: 4:15 p.m.

Low points: South of Bayside, Old Arcata Road is NOT bicycle friendly. It’s unpleasant. When I descended down to Maple Creek, I was chased by two big, ugly mutts. I’m a dog lover, but these guys looked ferocious – at first. I couldn’t get away, so I picked up my bike and charged at them as if I were going to somehow beat them senseless with the Mighty Panasonic. I yelled and they circled. Then I realized that it was time to do some “acting” and not just yell, but yell like I meant it. So I made some homicidal threats against the dogs in the loudest voice I could muster and charged at them as if I really, really meant to kill them. They retreated and I continued my ride.

***

Bay from Butler Valley Rd.

This is the view of the Pacific from Butler Valley Road near Kneeland.

***

High points: Other than those two dogs, Maple Creek is paradise. It’s like being in a Hidden Valley Ranch commercial, minus the salad dressing. I was in no hurry to get out of there. I was also elated that it didn’t start raining until I was pedaling across the Arcata Bottoms on my way home. Sweet.

Comments: I thought this would be relatively easy after the Willow Creek ride two weeks ago. Wrong! Kneeland was difficult and so was the climb out of the valley.

***

creek.

Here's a view of Maple Creek.

2 Comments:

Blogger Fred Mangels said...

You need to get yourself one of those pepper spray cannisters like the mail guys carry, Jack. I used to clip one on the front of my handlebar bag. It worked well on the one dog that came after me.

My cannister was given to me by I guy I knew that worked for the post office. Not sure where you can buy them around here but seems to me, back when the Joggin' Shop was in Old Town Eureka, I saw some for sale there.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

That's a good idea. I'll look into that.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters