Saturday, April 14, 2007

'a happy idiot'

I guess when you own a paper all your work is ultimately “paperwork.”

There’s a never-ending supply, so much so that even if I were to be granted an extra week’s time every month I’d still be slightly behind.

No biggy. That’s just the way it is. And not just for me.

I doubt that ranchers ever go to sleep at night knowing that they’ve done everything that needs to be done. There’s always a fence post that needs to be replaced, or a horse that needs to be shoed.

The “to-do” list gets even longer when you take a day off every week to ride a bicycle. You postpone this, postpone that, and next thing you know you’ve got a mountain of overdue paperwork.

So this week I limited myself to commuter bicycling. I zipped around town and enjoyed the sunshine.

I sold some ads. I sent out some renewal notices. I sent out some bills. I tried to drum up some business and pay the bills.

“I’m going to be a happy idiot
And struggle for the legal tender.”
– Jackson Browne

There wasn’t any ride worth mentioning, but my Bigfoot photo collection is growing.

Keep in mind that I eventually plan to purchase a corduroy sport jacket, the kind with the leather patches on the elbows. I’ll grow my beard really long, start smoking a pipe and give lectures and television interviews about Bigfoot. I’ll show off plaster casts of Bigfoot feet impressions and walk around with tufts of alleged Bigfoot hair samples.

Below is my current collection of Bigfoot faces from Humboldt and Del Norte counties. There are more to come....

bigfoot faces

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters