Wednesday, June 22, 2011

iPhone photography

My iPhone 3G has a little point-and-shoot camera. It's not the greatest camera, but it has a few things going for it:

1. Unlike my big camera, I almost always have my iPhone on me. It's super compact.

2. There are all sorts of interesting iPhone apps that allow you to manipulate the images and add special effects.

3. You can share your photos on Facebook while out and about.

Here are a few recent shots.

IMG_0953

This is Humboldt Bay as seen during a recent bike ride. I forgot what this filter is called.

IMG_0958

Here's the Carson Mansion in Eureka. I'm going through a totally obnoxious over-saturated/over-the-top filter phase.

IMG_0991

Here's the pumpkin patch in our backyard.

IMG_1042

Last weekend we took our trailer down Highway 1 to Mendocino County. In this shot, I used a filter called "1974." It makes the photos look like old Kodak snapshots from the early 1970s.

IMG_1045

I wish I had brought my regular camera (Canon Powershot SX20). There were osprey flying right by us and diving into the ocean for fish. The iPhone sucks when it comes to zooming in.

IMG_1043

I don't know why, but I like this "1974" filter.

IMG_0999

Our 1965 Aladdin Travel Trailer.

IMG_1054

Our happy home.

IMG_1089

Humboldt Bay yesterday morning as the fog began burning off.

IMG_1096

Camel Rock yesterday afternoon. Over saturated, as usual.

IMG_1097

Trinidad Head. (This filter makes your photos look like Polaroids.)


So my regular camera is much nicer, but it's also bulkier, which means I don't want to carry it around all the time. So I'll continue using the iPhone, despite its drawbacks.

13 Comments:

Blogger "Bob" said...

love the pics - I had the same conversation earlier today re: iPhone camera convenience and apps. I've been getting into Instagram - a (free) app with a few filters, that's also something like a social network - you upload instantly and you can see what your friends on Instagram have been shooting. It also posts to your Facebook page if you set it up to do so.
Here's a page where you can see them...

3:29 PM  
Blogger "Bob" said...

http://bobdoran.tumblr.com/

3:30 PM  
Anonymous Jack Durham said...

I've been enjoying the instagram pics that you put on Facebook. I downloaded that app a couple days ago after seeing your photos, but I haven't messed with it much.

I used to shoot with a Canon SX120, which had a 10x optical zoom. I could squeeze it, just barely, into my pocket.

Then I upgraded to a Canon Powershot SX 20. (20x zoom). It's big enough that there's no way you can put it in your pocket. So I put it in a camera bag, which is like carrying around a purse.

The result: I don't carry it unless I'm on a very specific photo mission.

That means I take fewer photos. So I got the iPhone, which has increased my photo taking. I also sent $6 to China and the good folks sent me a little tripod mount and a tripod.

3:49 PM  
Blogger beachcomber said...

I'm glad you explained the "1974" filter, Jack. When I saw the pic of the canned ham along the coast, I was confused when you said it was recent - I thought it looked like all the old Instamatic (not instagram) shots yellowing in our magnetic photo albums from our early years.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Steve said...

Jack-

I was looking at one of your old cycling posts (April 6 2007 ride to Willow Creek -- I'm contemplating doing that ride), which made me wonder if you are still cycling very much. Seems like your blog hasn't had much in the way of cycling posts any more.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

Steve,
Back when I was doing those rides I was a single guy with lots of time. Now that I'm married, I'm busy, busy, busy. But I still ride, just not as far. I'm doing a lot of 10 to 12 milers. I'm hoping to do some longer rides this summer. One of my goals is to go back to the top of Fickle Hill. BTW, I consider that Willow Creek ride to be one of my toughest. I consider it a greater accomplishment than the Tour of the Unknown Coast. Why? Because on the TUC, you're supported. You get to the top of a hill and there's someone handing you a cool drink. On the Willow Creek ride, you're on your own. Good luck! Don't forget to bring money so you can have fries and a shake in Willow Creek.

11:23 AM  
Anonymous Steve said...

Jack-

Thanks for your reply. I understand.

I really appreciated your 2007 Willow Creek post. I didn't see any web posts about doing it as a loop.

I did the ride today. Whew, its a lot of work, and a bit gnarly where the shoulder disappears.

I'm not quite a wiped out as when I did the TUC, but its a tough one.

Thanks again. Hope to see you back out riding again.

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Steve said...

Minor addition to above ... any OTHER web posts.

Yours was the only one I could find.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

Steve,
Congratulations! That's a major ride. There were a few other times that I rode out to Berry Summit, then turned around. Sometimes it gets scary when the shoulders disappear.

But it's a great ride. You really feel like you've gone far. My favorite photos of all time are the summit shots – just my bike against the signs that show the elevations. Those photos tell a story, even if they're blurry and poorly framed. Happy biking!

2:55 PM  
Anonymous Ross Rowley said...

I'm finding great joy in cell phone photography. I received my first digital camera for Christmas and have yet to crack it open. The cell phone is much more fun to send the shot along to friends moments after you take the cellograph. Mine is a Sony/Ericsson phone from about 6 or 7 years ago and the quality of the camera is really good. Shot in the highest pixel rate, you can print some very nice shots if you keep them below 4x6.

I would love to see a local cell phone photography contest.

Jack (and your readers), we invite you to take a peek at our new Humboldt blog.

http://abuvethefold.blogspot.com/

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Tammy said...

Such a great article which this is Humboldt Bay as seen during a recent bike ride.In which There were osprey flying right by us and diving into the ocean for fish. The iPhone sucks when it comes to zooming in. Thanks for sharing this article.

5:08 AM  
Blogger "Bob" said...

Ross, I have a cell phone photography show coming up in May at Missing Links Records in Arcata, opening reception May 11 6-9 during Arts! Arcata

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters