Sunday, March 29, 2009

Introducing the 1960 Ford Falcon Ranchero

Being that I'm a big-time newspaper publisher, it only seems fitting that I have a classic car for taking The Goddess out to Sunday brunch or a rummage sale.

I considered purchasing a Bugatti or an old Cadillac, but due to budgetary constraints and the crumbling economy, I had to set my sights on something more realistic. Last week I found a classic vehicle in my price range. It was located out on Warren Creek Road next to a chicken coop.

rancheroside

It's a 1960 Ford Falcon Ranchero, with a straight-6 and three on the tree. It hauls ass and appears to be mechanically sound, despite a wee bit of rust.

rancherodashboard

The speedometer didn't work on the test drive until I hit a pothole. Now it's fully functional, almost.

rancheroemblem

I like the name "Ranchero." It's very manly and makes me want to talk like the guy in the Black Angus commercials.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kym said...

Us kids used to ride in the back of a Ranchero. Mom would yell out the back window to "stop sitting on the sides or you'll fall out and splat on the pavement."


I hope yours is as trusty a steed as ours was.

3:11 PM  
Blogger OrangeElmo said...

Just as an FYI: Scott says Ford didn't make a V-6 in 1960. They made an in-line 6.

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack has it right - straight 6 is an "in-line 6" which is the same thing.

These cars if actually restored are worth something and probably - (hopefully) more than what you paid for it.

Google the car and you can find out a lot of info and maybe some prices as I think one of the "Blue Books" show collectors cars. There is a collector's car book and I have a very old one but they are available and should have something on line as to your car.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

I changed the posting after OrangeElmo's comment. I originally called it a V-6.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Gordon Inkeles said...

http://www.ineedahubcap.com/

9:22 PM  
Blogger Indie said...

Lookin' good! I love it, I love its color against the gray cabin, I love the dash and insignia, and I love the name Ranchero! Score, Jack!

12:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jack,
That is one sweet ride.

TH

6:03 PM  
Anonymous philbilly said...

There is no powertrain combo that has the torsional balance, resilience and response equalling a straight six/three-on-the-tree, save for the Porsche 356/ Volkswagen boxer-four longitudinal split case transaxle pairing.

I learned to steer as an infant watching my old man take us to Church in a '63 Falcon.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters