Friday, January 02, 2009

New Year's Day Kneeland Climb

The hardest part of this year's Kneeland Climb was getting out of bed and leaving a warm, comfy house. Hot coffee was brewing, the Rose Parade was on TV and there was a beautiful, smiling woman on the couch. Oh, and I had a flat tire and it was raining outside.

IMG_3282

I forced myself to go. Here's the view from across Humboldt Bay in Manila. Kneeland was shrouded in clouds. It was cold and wet. I pedalled over the Samoa bridges to Myrtle Avenue and Old Arcata Road. At Three Corners Market I headed east and made the ascent.

IMG_3280

It was kind of miserable, but in a fun way. I reached the Kneeland Post Office, ate a peanut butter sandwich in the rain and then turned around. Just as I began the descent, the cable on my front brake broke! Bonsai! The ride down was freezing.

IMG_3284

When I arrived at Kim's, I defrosted in a hot bath. Then we made burgers and watched the USC game. And so began I very, very happy new year!

2009 is all about love, peace, fun and happy riding!

5 Comments:

Blogger reverend dick said...

What's so funny 'bout love, peace, fun and happy riding?

Your cable braking.

Glad you made it, and here's hoping for more adventures via the bike in 2009!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Indie said...

Well, you have a hell of a lot more fortitude than I, but we already knew that.

Also, there is nothing of the masochist (suffer because it's fun!) in me.

I'll be here in my oh-so-cozy house surrounded by pillows and purring cats, reading about your cold wet adventures online.

Happy New Year!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Jennifer Savage said...

Beautiful! And yeah, I, too, admire your willingness to brave the cold and fog (and broken cables!).

7:10 AM  
Blogger Fred Mangels said...

No snow on Kneeland? At least not in the picture.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

I didn't see any snow. Just lots of rain.

1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters