Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Stagecoach Road ride

Today I bicycled north as fast as I could, fueled in part by inspiration from last Saturday’s time trial. I tucked my head down and pedalled against the wind. I made good time from McKinleyville to Trinidad. When I got to Trinidad, I decided to explore Stagecoach Road. Part way up the road I saw a sign for the Elk Head trail. In all the years I lived here, I don’t think I’d ever gone out there. So off I went.

My Cannondale has 1 1/4-inch tires which perform pretty well on gravel trails. So I weaved my way through the forest and splashed through some muddy puddles.

elk head

At one point you round a corner and – bam – this view hits you. This photo doesn’t really do it justice, but it’s really amazing out there.

Elk head beach.??

Seals, which are really just dogs that live in the water and eat fish, were lounging on the rocks.

stairway to beach

Here’s a staircase that goes down to the beach.

tree roots

Further up the road it looks like a war zone. Those hurricane-force winds a couple years ago massacred a lot of trees. Above are the roots of one tree. I made my way to Patrick’s Point Drive, which I traveled back south on.

adi da

I stopped and took this blurry photo of my bike in front of a “spiritual center” for a local cult. Adi Da Samraj, aka Bubba Free John, is God incarnate. The only way to achieve bliss is to devote yourself to Bubba. Of course, you’ll also need to devote a portion of your income to the “Man God.” Bubba is a pretty smart guy to be able to pull off such a scam. Rock on, Man God!


dogs at beach

Everyone was enjoying the weather today, especially dogs.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kym said...

Heavenly view, A Stairway to Heaven, and a man God--Your ride turned into a spiritual journey;>

8:36 AM  
Blogger Gordon Inkeles said...

Bubba Free John to Trinidad after the hurricane last year demolished many homes: "I decided to direct the worst of the storm to my property."

4:28 PM  
Blogger Gordon Inkeles said...

Jack, What kind of camera are you using? Any special post processing?

4:29 PM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

I use a Canon Powershot A75. It's an inexpensive digital that I purchased from Target about three years ago for $199. It's a 3.2 megapixel camera.

Half the time I shoot in automatic mode, because the camera is usually smarter than I am. The other photos I take using various manual modes just for fun.

I mess around with my photos in Photoshop. I get them the way I like, post them, and a few hours later I'm generally embarassed by my over-saturation of colors.

I also mess with the contrast.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Not that I'm well traveled, but I've seen wild coastlines in England, Ireland, and Sweden. Nothin' compares to the Humboldt coast though, 'specially on days like we've been havin' this past week. Thanks for the photos, Jack.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters