Thursday, February 07, 2008

My new laptop

At the McKinleyville Press, we pride ourselves on our technological prowess. We strive to be on the cutting edge of advancements in newspaper technology, be it the latest in digital recording devices, cameras or computer software. However, it wasn't until today that I finally got my first laptop.

laptop in case

As you can see, it comes in a sturdy, fully portable case. I could carry it around town, take it on a plane, or even use it at the Vista Point.

Remington.fromfront

It has a full-size keyboard and is fully functional even when the power goes out. It's a Deluxe Noiseless portable Remington. The font selection is seriously limited, but it will print in any color you like, as long as it's black.

typwriter stamp

My Dad graduated from Berkeley and then landed a teaching job at Hillsdale High School in San Mateo, Calif. He needed a typewriter, so he bought this used one for $35 in 1959. That was probably a decent amount of money at the time, considering that a teacher's salary was about $5,000 a year.

I searched the internet and determined that this typewriter was manufactured sometime between 1940 and 1942, so it's 66 to 68 years old. It works as well as any other manual typewriter I've ever used. Although I must confess that the last time I recall using a manual typewriter was in the 1980s.

It was headed for the thrift store, so I offered to take it off my Dad's hands, and he obliged. I don't know what I'll do with it. Perhaps someday I'll build a cabin in the woods and use it to type my manifesto.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kym said...

Save it! That is an incredible piece of family memorabilia.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters