Friday, March 31, 2006

What if....

Mathematics is not one of my strong points, so the following may have fatal flaws.

But consider this – what if I had captured all the rain that has fallen on my property this season, put it into bottles and sold it?

How much would I make, not counting the cost of building a giant funnel covering my entire house, garage and property, and the ensuing lawsuits and litigation from unhappy neighbors and people who discovered dead cats, turnips, pidgeons and old coffee cups in their drinking water?

Let's take look:

Rainfall so far this season: 52 inches

Approx size of property: 1/8 acre????

Then I used this fellow's calculator:

http://www.mss.cx/mss/raincalc

Based on that, I would have collected 176,488 gallons of water from my property so far this season.

So then I went to this site to see how much bottled water cost:

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/housing/356-486/356-486.html#L6

It states:
"How Much Does Bottled Water Cost?

According to the National Sanitation Foundation, in 1998, the average retail price of one gallon of domestic drinking water ranges from $.80 to $1.20. A five gallon delivered bottle of drinking water is $4.00 to $6.00. A gallon of sparkling water is approximately $1.85. Smaller bottles may be more expensive."

Based on that, I would have collected between $141,190 and $211,785 worth of water!!!!

And it's still raining...

1 Comments:

Blogger gb05 said...

Just think how much more money you could have made if you lived in sunny Cutten! Our rainfall total has increased from 74.5 inches (3/31) to 75.8 as of this morning (4/3). Note to chamber of commerce: I'm willing to accept hush money to stop publishing true rainfall amounts.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters