Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Learning Spanish

My Spanish was previously limited to handful of vocabulary words and some phrases like “Yo Quiero Taco Bell” and “¿Donde esta el bano?”

So last year I decided to change that. I purchased a set of CDs titled “Learn in You Car, Spanish.” I listened to the CDs religiously for several weeks, repeating all the words and phrases as directed while I drove around in my car doing my business.

My progress, in my opinion, was remarkable. At the rate I was going it seemed as if I might be fluent in a year’s time. As a bonus, I was learning while driving – time which would normally be wasted listening to misinformed conservative dingbats on the radio.

But then I got into learning numbers, and soon found myself counting from one to 200 – over and over again. These lessons need to be repeated to be effective. It was excruciating, like counting sheep. It made me sleepy and my enthusiasm for learning Spanish diminished. I stopped listening to the CDs.

Months went by and now and then I pondered why I was unable to motivate myself to learn Spanish. Then recently a friend wrote on his personal blog about how he planned to learn a foreign language. That, along with a conversation with a neighbor who teaches Spanish, reignited my interest in learning Spanish.

So it was back to the CDs – and back to the original problem. They’re boring and I’m unmotivated.

That’s when I got an idea. What if there was a reason for me to listen to the CDs? What if I created a sort of game where I could apply the Spanish I learn, be it from the CDs or any other source?

So I created a blog featuring two fictional characters – Rocky and Lucy. They’re two gringos who suddenly land in Mexico. It’s full Spanish immersion for this couple, with everyone around them only speaking Spanish. Rocky and Lucy can speak in English to each other, but if they want to get a taxi, a hotel room, order a meal or make a purchase, they have to speak Spanish – which means I need to learn enough Spanish to keep my characters moving.

I’m responsible for their well-being. If they’re going to have a fun, safe trip, I need to make it happen. If I don’t, then who knows what will happen to them? Maybe they’ll starve, be homeless, become glue-sniffing addicts or will be sold off into the Tijuana sex trade.

So I’ve got to keep them moving, at least a couple times a week.

The blog isn’t intended for public consumption, although it’s out there if someone wants to read it. I’m just not sure why they would. So far the story is unfolding a little slower than a “Dick and Jane” book, and with slightly simpler vocabulary and plot lines.

Why a blog? It’s just a user-friendly format. And there’s something about having a blog that makes you want to update it.

The “Rocky and Lucy” blog is not reading material – for me or anybody else. It’s learning material – a way to utilize Spanish, memorize Spanish, develop basic sentences and provide some motivation for listening to those boring CDs. Learning through audio is useful, especially when it comes to pronunciation. But the written word has a way of etching things into my brain.

It’s also an experiment. Is this a useful tool for learning Spanish? Will it work for me? I will I lose interest as I did with the CDs?

Time will tell.
Adios amigos!

2 Comments:

Blogger gb05 said...

C'mon Jack, share the link to the blog with us. I could use a spanish refresher course...

9:34 AM  
Blogger Jack Durham said...

http://spanishmangler.blogspot.com/

This is "Dick and Jane" level material. Actually, maybe a step down.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters