Saturday, November 04, 2006

Blog changes


Hammond.11.3.06
Originally uploaded by jackselectricbike.
I'm now cross-posting something from my bike blog to my personal blog.

It's a sign.

My little brain, in conjunction with my limited free time, is simply incapable of maintaining two separate blogs.

But there's more to it than that.

It recenty occurred to me that my bicycle bullshit is precisly the kind of material that I intended to post on "Rambling Jack's Laboratory" when it was created about a year ago.

This is, after all, a place for me to ramble, post random thoughts and write about life's little experiments. (Hence the name of this blog.)

Using a bicycle instead of a car is a kind of experiment – like crabbing from a kayak, or digging for clams at Clam Beach (see early archives).

I thought my bike blog would be worthwhile because it might appeal to a nitch audience – people who either own or may purchase a Wilderness Energy BD 36 electric bicycle conversion kit. That's an extreme niche and very focused.

Very, very focused.

I enjoy focused blogs, especially when I'm interested in specific subject. If I want to know about the performance of a Catalina 27 sailboat, I want to read a blog about a Catalina 27 sailboat, not a blog about sailboats, in general, from 25 to 30 feet in length. Better yet, if I'm interested in such a sailboat, I would prefer a blog that not only focuses on the make and model, but the specific year.

Focus, focus, focus.

There are a gazillion places on the internet to learn about the pros and cons of electric bicycles. But if you want to learn about the pros and cons of the Wilderness Energry BD 36, good luck. The number of sites is limited. Most sites are commercial in nature and trying to sell you on the product.

So Jack's Electric Bicycle blog was created for folks interested in an honest review of a very, very specific product. The intent was NOT to attract a large audience, but to attract an extremely specialized audience.

It was a solid plan, and an honest one. But something happened along the way.

I became less interested in my Wilderness Energery BD 36 electric bicycle converson kit and more interested in bicycling in general. I discovered that I like to pedal. I like to pedal and feel the burn in my legs. I like to break a sweat – sometimes

I like riding a regular bike more than I like a motorized bike.

I like to pedal towards my destination and then suddenly swerve off the roadway, take a detour and explore a new part of town just because I feel like it. I like to stop and take photos of stuff I have no logical reason to photograph.

I have fun once or twice a week on my electric bike, but it doesn't get my heart beating in the same way as my regular bikes.

So a blog "consolidation" will soon begin. Changes are underway, for better or worse.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elmo said...

Electric Bicycles and Electric Scooters

Elmo The Electric Bike and Electric Scooter Guy

This is an excellent blog for electric bicycles. There are not too many around like this. Thanks for making this such an interesting subject. Oh, by the way, Wired Magazine has a great article on hybrid cars this month. (Jan 2008 issue).

God Bless,
Elmo

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters