Saturday, June 24, 2006

Another crash

Friday is crash day.

I don’t know why, but it’s the day of the week that I typically photograph traffic accidents.

I don’t have any statistics to back this up, but people seem to crash more on Fridays.

It makes one re-think the TGIF concept.

This afternoon the alarm sounded with a report of a roll-over traffic accident on U.S. Highway 101, just a half mile south of my house.

I tossed the press pass over my head and grabbed the camera, pen and note pad.

I also grabbed the advertisement that I was about to take to a client to be proofed.

A horrific event and personal tragedy just happened to fit into my schedule. That’s gross, but true.

Upon arrival I realized I had gotten there before the firefighters and the ambulance. Thank goodness the CHP was on scene. First aid was being administered, at least that’s how it appeared.

The report of a roll-over was inaccurate. A woman had gone off the freeway and slammed into a tree.

Reasons unknown. Investigation ongoing.

She was pinned inside a red Pontiac. She was screaming. It was like the screams you hear in a horror movie when a woman is being attacked my an ax-wielding maniac, but slightly muffled and less animated.

Basically, screams of horror and fright.

That got under my skin.

It was disturbing, but I couldn’t help but think of those sounds as a good sign.

Screaming is a sign of vitality.

She’ll be OK, at least I hope so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Website Counter
Hit Counters